Friday, January 18, 2013

The Walkmen + Father John Misty

I feel like the luckiest person in the world right now. Why? Because the mister took me out last night to see The Walkmen and Father John Misty at the Newport Music Hall here in Columbus.

This is exciting and special for a few reasons:
1. This is the first show I've been to that I didn't have to commute 2 or more hours to see. We took the bus, so we got to drink a little while we watched the bands play. I've never gotten to do that before so this was a new experience for me!
2. THE WALKMEN and Hamilton Leithauser's voice. 
3. Father John Misty aka J. Tillman of Fleet Foxes 
4. We got pizza at Mikey's Late Night Slice and I got to try slut sauce for the first time.

True to form, Omar and I missed our bus so we had to wait on another one which put us just a tiny bit behind schedule. I was worried that we would miss Father John Misty since they opened the show. Luckily though, we got to the Newport just in time to see the majority of the set, which was great. I was really pleased with the setlist they played, and J. Tillman was really entertaining. We ended up being a little bit further away from the stage than I would have hoped for but we could still see fairly well. I have a problem seeing since I'm petite and get just a little lost in the crowd.  
I love his dance moves. I wish I could be that suave and awkward at the same time.

If you've never heard The Walkmen before, you better get on that as soon as possible. They're probably one of my top ten favorite bands. Hamilton Leithauser's (what a name, right?!) voice is gorgeous. It's velvety and soulful and perfect. They put on such a great show last night, and they sound amazing live. I expected them to be great but there's always that possibility a band doesn't sound the same live. That was definitely not a problem last night. Here's a video from the Black Cab Sessions featuring The Walkmen, I think you're gonna like it.

Now my favorite song:
I have chills. Isn't that a gorgeous song? I wish they had played this last night!

Once the show was over (and we were a little buzzed) we walked down to Mikey's Late Night Slice (read this really awesome story about Mikey's) to get some pizza with Slut Sauce. What exactly is Slut Sauce? It's a condiment that's a little bit spicy and really friggin' delicious. It's hard to describe the flavors but it's just really awesome. I want to eat it on everything now! I already eat too much pizza, and I just read there's one in our neighborhood. EEP!

1 comment:

Kati said...

So happy you had a good time! I just discovered your blog and really, really like it - keep up the good work!

Have a lovely day,
-Kati

Post a Comment

Hello, Reader! I love hearing from you. Thanks for leaving me a comment! :)